How can I get rid of extra body hair caused by polycystic ovary syndrome?

Daniel A. Dumesic, MD
Reproductive Endocrinology
Commonly used therapies for local removal of unwanted body hair caused by polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) tend to be temporary cosmetic strategies, including bleaching, chemical agents, shaving and waxing. However, any of these therapies are associated with mild or moderate forms of folliculitis, or irritation to the skin from plucking and removing hair. As a result, there are other ways of doing it, including either electrolysis (the local destruction of the hair follicle on an individual basis) or now, more commonly, the use of various types of lasers, which can cover large areas of the skin over short periods of time, though these tend to be more expensive than some of the other therapies. 

Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) can wreak health havoc in a variety of ways, but perhaps the most noticeable -- and embarrassing -- symptom of PCOS is excess body hair. In this video, dermatologist Dr. Anne Chapas demonstrates on the Dr. Oz show how easily -- and painlessly -- unwanted hair caused by PCOS can be removed.

Continue Learning about Gynecology

4 Reasons You Have a Vaginal Yeast Infection—and What to Do About It
Three out of four women will get a yeast infection at some point in their life, and almost half will have more than one. Yeast infections typically ca...
Who should have a Pap test?
The Pap test is recommended for all women between the ages of 21 and 65 years old, and can be done i...
8 Hysterectomy Myths to Stop Believing
8 Hysterectomy Myths to Stop Believing8 Hysterectomy Myths to Stop Believing8 Hysterectomy Myths to Stop Believing8 Hysterectomy Myths to Stop Believing
From recovery time to your post-surgery sex life, we’re debunking some of the common misconceptions.
Sanford - Kevin Benson - When Should I See a Urogynecologist