How do I eat for polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS)?

Polycystic ovary syndrome, or PCOS, is an endocrine disorder that affects 5 percent to 10 percent of women of reproductive age. One of the factors in managing PCOS is diet:
  • Proper meal spacing: Women with PCOS should space their meals three to four hours apart to control blood sugar levels.
  • Moderate carbohydrate intake: Consume a balance of carbohydrates and protein. Choose nutrient-rich carbohydrates and limit sugars and sweets.
  • Healthy fat consumption: The best type of fat is unsaturated fats. Omega 3 fatty acids are a good choice to lower triglyceride and insulin levels.
  • Adequate physical activity: Regular activity is key to keeping weight in control.

Continue Learning about Gynecology

The New Cervical Cancer Screening Guidelines
On an episode of the controversial show Girls, Hannah finds out she’s contracted HPV. When she tells her friend Shoshanna, Shoshanna says, “Jessa has ...
How often should I get a Pap test?
St Francis Medical CenterSt Francis Medical Center
The Pap smear has been the main reason for a woman to come in annually to see a doctor. This test ha...
8 Hysterectomy Myths to Stop Believing
8 Hysterectomy Myths to Stop Believing8 Hysterectomy Myths to Stop Believing8 Hysterectomy Myths to Stop Believing8 Hysterectomy Myths to Stop Believing
From recovery time to your post-surgery sex life, we’re debunking some of the common misconceptions.
Sanford - Kevin Benson - Why didn't previous physicians diagnose my condition