How can I choose the right type of hysterectomy?

You should choose a hysterectomy that suits your preference and lifestyle. There is no one-size-fits-all hysterectomy. The decision is yours entirely. Know that the different types carry different risks.

A vaginal hysterectomy is generally the recommended treatment. It is quicker to heal than the abdominal (belly) type. It offers the least risk of complications. 

Laparoscopic hysterectomy has a minimal recovery time, which can be tempting. But the procedure comes with an increased risk of damage to other organs. The procedure itself can also take longer, according to the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists.

You should discuss the right surgery for your circumstances with your doctor.

Some women take longer to recover than others. Some women have health problems that can make surgery more risky. Some factors for complications include being overweight or smoking. The American College of Surgeons can give you a general idea of the risk factors for surgeries. However, this resource should never be used in place of speaking to your doctor. 

This content originally appeared on http://blog.mountainstar.com/

Continue Learning about Gynecology

Know Before You Go: Hysterectomy
Know Before You Go: Hysterectomy
Every year approximately 600,000 women have a hysterectomy -- a surgery that removes the uterus. Many more are advised to do so. Many women aren’t giv...
How are ovarian cysts treated?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Treatment for ovarian cysts varies according to the information discovered by your medical tests and...
8 Hysterectomy Myths to Stop Believing
8 Hysterectomy Myths to Stop Believing8 Hysterectomy Myths to Stop Believing8 Hysterectomy Myths to Stop Believing8 Hysterectomy Myths to Stop Believing
From recovery time to your post-surgery sex life, we’re debunking some of the common misconceptions.
Can a Hysterectomy Hurt My Sex Life?
Can a Hysterectomy Hurt My Sex Life?