How can I treat vaginal discharge and odor?

Dr. Shelley C. Giebel, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrician & Gynecologist)

The vagina normally has a clear or white mucous discharge that can change in consistency during the menstrual cycle. However, if there is an odor or color, it is not a normal discharge and is most likely a sign of an infection. If the discharge is chronically watery or slimy this is not normal. At this point, medical treatment is necessary to treat the infection. Douching or aggressive cleaning will only make the discharge worse because you will be getting rid of the healthy bacteria in the process. 

Probiotics can prevent recurrent vaginal infections once you have received treatment from your doctor. So use probiotics to keep the vaginal secretions healthy.

Continue Learning about Gynecology

Why do I need to see an OBGYN when I'm in my 20s?
Johnston-Willis Hospital - HCA VirginiaJohnston-Willis Hospital - HCA Virginia
It is important to see an obstetrician/gynecologist (OBGYN) when you are in your 20s. Pap smear scre...
What are potential complications of a hysterectomy?
Dr. Hugo D. Ribot, MDDr. Hugo D. Ribot, MD
A hysterectomy is the removal of only the uterus (with or without the cervix). As one can read by g...
How Does Menopause Affect a Woman's Libido?
How Can Cancer Treatment Affect My Sexual Health?