How is breast cyst aspiration performed?

In a cyst aspiration, the doctor will wash off your skin with an antiseptic, then numb the skin over the breast lump with a tiny needle. Another needle is gently inserted into the area of the cyst. The fluid is then taken out. The cyst collapses like a punctured blister. If the fluid is bloody, it is usually sent to the lab to be tested. The doctor will decide whether the fluid needs to be tested.

Continue Learning about Gynecology

Can Your OB-GYN Provide Primary Care?
Can Your OB-GYN Provide Primary Care?
For straight-up down-there medical problems—a yeast infection, say, or a positive at-home pregnancy test—there’s no question you should call on your o...
How do I manage my breast fibroadenoma on a daily basis?
You can manage fibroadenoma by performing regular breast self-examinations, making sure that you not...
8 Hysterectomy Myths to Stop Believing
8 Hysterectomy Myths to Stop Believing8 Hysterectomy Myths to Stop Believing8 Hysterectomy Myths to Stop Believing8 Hysterectomy Myths to Stop Believing
From recovery time to your post-surgery sex life, we’re debunking some of the common misconceptions.
Should a Woman on Hormone Therapy for Low Libido have Annual Mammogram?