What should I expect before a hysterectomy?

Before your hysterectomy the doctor will do a complete physical exam to make sure that you are a good surgical candidate. You will also be counselled regarding your recovery period and how much time you will need off from work following the sugery. The surgeon will counsel you regarding all of the potential risks and benefits of the surgery.
Here’s what you can expect before a hysterectomy:

• You’ll have blood and urine tests.
• You’ll be asked to fast (not eat anything) from midnight until your surgery the next day.
• Hair on your pubic area and abdomen may be clipped to help keep the incision sites sterile.
• To prevent infection, you’ll be given antibiotics.
• A nurse will place an IV -- a small tube put through a needle into a vein -- in your arm or wrist to deliver fluids, medication, or blood as needed.
• You’ll be attached to monitors and given anesthesia. Depending on your preference and on how your surgery will be done, you may have general anesthesia (which puts you completely asleep during the surgery) or a regional anesthesia (which blocks the feeling in the lower part of your body).
• A catheter -- a thin tube -- will be placed in your bladder. The catheter drains urine from your bladder during the surgery.

Continue Learning about Gynecology

The Truth About Hysterectomies
The Truth About Hysterectomies
Roughly one in three women in the U.S. will have a hysterectomy before age 60. A doctor might recommend the procedure to fight cancer or even to relie...
Who is a candidate for a single-site robotic hysterectomy?
St. Petersburg General HospitalSt. Petersburg General Hospital
The single-site robotic hysterectomy can be done on any woman who has benign (not cancer) female abn...
8 Hysterectomy Myths to Stop Believing
8 Hysterectomy Myths to Stop Believing8 Hysterectomy Myths to Stop Believing8 Hysterectomy Myths to Stop Believing8 Hysterectomy Myths to Stop Believing
From recovery time to your post-surgery sex life, we’re debunking some of the common misconceptions.
Is It Possible for a Tampon to Get Stuck Inside My Body?