What are the side effects of vaginal pessaries for uterine prolapse?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Vaginal pessaries can be associated with side effects when they are used to treat uterine prolapse. For example, pessaries can cause irritation of the tissues of the vaginal canal, and this can lead to open sores. Estrogen pills or estrogen-containing vaginal cream may help make the vaginal lining thicker and less likely to become irritated. Pessaries may also cause a foul-smelling discharge, especially if they are not removed frequently for cleaning, and they may interfere with sexual intercourse.

Continue Learning about Gynecology

How Does OAB Affect Your Sense of Self?
How Does OAB Affect Your Sense of Self?
In this roundtable discussion, women living with overactive bladder discuss how it affects their sense of self.
What type of doctor should perform a hysterectomy?
Dr. Hugo D. Ribot, MDDr. Hugo D. Ribot, MD
Ideally, the type of doctor who should perform a hysterectomy would be not only a gynecologist, but ...
What gynecological conditions should I be aware of if I am over 65?
Angela T. Valle, MDAngela T. Valle, MD
There are a number of common gynecological conditions that you should be aware of if you are age 65 ...
What Is the Recovery Time for Traditional or Open Hysterectomy?