What are the side effects of vaginal pessaries for uterine prolapse?

Vaginal pessaries can be associated with side effects when they are used to treat uterine prolapse. For example, pessaries can cause irritation of the tissues of the vaginal canal, and this can lead to open sores. Estrogen pills or estrogen-containing vaginal cream may help make the vaginal lining thicker and less likely to become irritated. Pessaries may also cause a foul-smelling discharge, especially if they are not removed frequently for cleaning, and they may interfere with sexual intercourse.

Continue Learning about Gynecology

My Pap Smear Was Abnormal. Should I Be Worried?
A Pap smear, a test that screens for cervical cancer, may not be the most dignified medical test for a woman—even peeing on a stick to see if you’re p...
Why do my fingernails change around the time I get my period?
Menstruation, or periods, can affect the fingernails. In this video, Dr. Oz explains the link be...
8 Hysterectomy Myths to Stop Believing
8 Hysterectomy Myths to Stop Believing8 Hysterectomy Myths to Stop Believing8 Hysterectomy Myths to Stop Believing8 Hysterectomy Myths to Stop Believing
From recovery time to your post-surgery sex life, we’re debunking some of the common misconceptions.
Is It Safe to Wear a Panty Liner Every Day?