Should I talk to my doctor about my vaginal infection?

You should visit your doctor if you have symptoms of a vaginal infection. Many vaginal infections have similar symptoms, so it is important that your infection is diagnosed and treated correctly. Some women who have frequent yeast (fungal) infections may be able to start treatment themselves, but this is only recommended for women who have been diagnosed by a doctor in the past and are assured of their condition and the proper way to treat it.

Dr. Kevin W. Windom, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrician & Gynecologist)

Yes, I believe that if you have more than 4 vaginal yeast infections in a year, it is important to speak with your doctor about this because there could be an underlying medical problem that could be causing these infections. Also, patients who have recurrent vaginal infections could be misdiagnosing themselves. Many people think they have a yeast infection, but in fact, it is a bacterial infection; and if this bacterial infection goes untreated for a long period of time, it could cause a more severe illness, and it may be difficult to remedy this infection when the patient does arrive to the office for treatment.

You should talk to your doctor about symptoms and treatment options for a vaginal infection. Pay attention to your body. If you experience symptoms, such as a change in the color and consistency of vaginal fluid, genital itching or burning, you may have a vaginal infection, which, if left untreated, can lead to health complications.

If you experience any abnormal discharge, see your healthcare provider to determine the cause. If it is bacterial vaginosis (BV), no big deal—talk to your healthcare provider about your symptoms and your treatment options.

This content originally appeared on HealthyWomen.org.

Continue Learning about Gynecology

Tell Me Why… I Poop More During My Period
As if the cramps, bloating, mood swings, exhaustion and increased appetite during premenstrual syndrome (PMS) weren’t bad enough, your tummy may get o...
What could cause long-term vaginal itching?
Marcy Holmes, MSN, NPMarcy Holmes, MSN, NP
Various imbalances can contribute to vaginal itching. Top considerations include allergen contact, d...
8 Hysterectomy Myths to Stop Believing
8 Hysterectomy Myths to Stop Believing8 Hysterectomy Myths to Stop Believing8 Hysterectomy Myths to Stop Believing8 Hysterectomy Myths to Stop Believing
From recovery time to your post-surgery sex life, we’re debunking some of the common misconceptions.
How Can I Stay in Good Sexual Health as I Age?