Should I talk to my doctor about my vaginal infection?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

You should visit your doctor if you have symptoms of a vaginal infection. Many vaginal infections have similar symptoms, so it is important that your infection is diagnosed and treated correctly. Some women who have frequent yeast (fungal) infections may be able to start treatment themselves, but this is only recommended for women who have been diagnosed by a doctor in the past and are assured of their condition and the proper way to treat it.

You should talk to your doctor about symptoms and treatment options for a vaginal infection. Pay attention to your body. If you experience symptoms, such as a change in the color and consistency of vaginal fluid, genital itching or burning, you may have a vaginal infection, which, if left untreated, can lead to health complications.

If you experience any abnormal discharge, see your healthcare provider to determine the cause. If it is bacterial vaginosis (BV), no big deal—talk to your healthcare provider about your symptoms and your treatment options.

This content originally appeared on HealthyWomen.org.

Dr. Kevin W. Windom, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrician & Gynecologist)

Yes, I believe that if you have more than 4 vaginal yeast infections in a year, it is important to speak with your doctor about this because there could be an underlying medical problem that could be causing these infections. Also, patients who have recurrent vaginal infections could be misdiagnosing themselves. Many people think they have a yeast infection, but in fact, it is a bacterial infection; and if this bacterial infection goes untreated for a long period of time, it could cause a more severe illness, and it may be difficult to remedy this infection when the patient does arrive to the office for treatment.

Continue Learning about Gynecology

Can Your OB-GYN Provide Primary Care?
Can Your OB-GYN Provide Primary Care?
For straight-up down-there medical problems—a yeast infection, say, or a positive at-home pregnancy test—there’s no question you should call on your o...
Why do I need to see an OB/GYN when I'm in my 40s?
All women should continue to regularly see a health care provider for preventative women's health ca...
9 Causes of Pelvic Pain That Aren’t Your Period
9 Causes of Pelvic Pain That Aren’t Your Period9 Causes of Pelvic Pain That Aren’t Your Period9 Causes of Pelvic Pain That Aren’t Your Period9 Causes of Pelvic Pain That Aren’t Your Period
Awful cramping or discomfort could signal a serious condition, like fibroids or endometriosis.
Is It Safe to Wear a Panty Liner Every Day?