Do all women need to have an annual Pap test?

Not all women need to have an annual Pap test. Women 21 to 65 years old who have had normal Pap test results should only need a Pap test every 3 years. Women age 30 to 65 who have had a normal Pap test along with a normal test result for the human papillomavirus (HPV) have the option of a Pap test and HPV test every 5 years.

Continue Learning about Gynecology

My Pap Smear Was Abnormal. Should I Be Worried?
A Pap smear, a test that screens for cervical cancer, may not be the most dignified medical test for a woman—even peeing on a stick to see if you’re p...
How should I prepare for a gynecological exam?
Chippenham Hospital - HCA VirginiaChippenham Hospital - HCA Virginia
In preparing for a gynecological exam, the most important thing to do is relax. Not only will the ex...
8 Hysterectomy Myths to Stop Believing
8 Hysterectomy Myths to Stop Believing8 Hysterectomy Myths to Stop Believing8 Hysterectomy Myths to Stop Believing8 Hysterectomy Myths to Stop Believing
From recovery time to your post-surgery sex life, we’re debunking some of the common misconceptions.
What Is the Recovery Time for Traditional or Open Hysterectomy?