Do all women need to have an annual Pap test?

Not all women need to have an annual Pap test. Women 21 to 65 years old who have had normal Pap test results should only need a Pap test every 3 years. Women age 30 to 65 who have had a normal Pap test along with a normal test result for the human papillomavirus (HPV) have the option of a Pap test and HPV test every 5 years.

Continue Learning about Gynecology

My Pap Smear Was Abnormal. Should I Be Worried?
A Pap smear, a test that screens for cervical cancer, may not be the most dignified medical test for a woman—even peeing on a stick to see if you’re p...
Should I see my doctor about a lump on my labia?
Mary ChappellMary Chappell
I usually recommend my patients come in so I can see the lump.  You can explain it to me all day on ...
6 Things You Can Do at the Gynecologist’s Office That Aren't Pap Smears
6 Things You Can Do at the Gynecologist’s Office That Aren't Pap Smears6 Things You Can Do at the Gynecologist’s Office That Aren't Pap Smears6 Things You Can Do at the Gynecologist’s Office That Aren't Pap Smears6 Things You Can Do at the Gynecologist’s Office That Aren't Pap Smears
Beyond just sexual and reproductive health issues, your OB can work with you on the health of your bones, heart and more.
What Are the Risks Associated with Hormone Therapy to Treat Low Libido in Women?