Are breast lumps common?

Up to two-thirds of women have what are considered normal breast lumps. They are noncancerous and usually due to fibrocystic changes. Watch Dr. Oz talk more about normal and abnormal breast lumps.

Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgery

Breast lumps in fact are very common and they are found in up to 70% of women. Majority of masses or lumps in women's breasts consist of fibrocystic breast lumps or fibrocystic breast disease followed by fibroadenomas. Both the fibrocysts and fibroadenomas are benign, they are not cancerous and the do no have malignant transformation possibilities. All lumps or masses should be diagnosed however, especially with a strong family diathesis of breast cancer. Breast masses should be evaluated for growth clinically as well as diagnostically screened with mammograms, ultrasounds and MRIs.  Should there be any question about any microcalcification or an increase in size or suspicion of this mass should be biopsied through fine needle aspiration, Tru-Core biopsy, or through direct excisional biopsy. Approximately one out of every eight women will develop breast cancer and therefore all masses and lumps should be considered for possibility of malignancy.

Continue Learning about Gynecology

My Pap Smear Was Abnormal. Should I Be Worried?
A Pap smear, a test that screens for cervical cancer, may not be the most dignified medical test for a woman—even peeing on a stick to see if you’re p...
What's an example of pelvic floor disorder and how they affect sex?
Michael H. Safir, MDMichael H. Safir, MD
Painful bladder disorders can lead to pain during intercourse. In this video, urologist Michael Safi...
12 Things Your Gyno Wants You to Stop Doing
12 Things Your Gyno Wants You to Stop Doing12 Things Your Gyno Wants You to Stop Doing12 Things Your Gyno Wants You to Stop Doing12 Things Your Gyno Wants You to Stop Doing
Skipping annual appointments, self-treating symptoms and other gyno no-nos.
How Can I Stay in Good Sexual Health as I Age?