What are the benefits of minimally invasive surgery for gynecologic cancer?

Rochelle Brandon, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)
Equipment and surgical techniques have been developed to allow many gynecologic cancer procedures to be performed in a minimally invasive fashion. The obvious benefit of minimally invasive surgery (MIS) is a shorter recovery time and rapid resumption of normal activities. However, additional benefits include less blood loss, lower wound complication rates, and faster delivery of additional therapy. MIS is also associated with fewer adhesions and scar tissue than open surgery, potentially reducing the risk of postoperative bowel obstruction.

Continue Learning about Gynecologic Cancers

Should I talk to my doctor about uterine sarcoma?
If you show any symptoms of uterine sarcoma, it is important to talk with your doctor. In particular...
Can I develop female cancer if I have no ovaries or uterus?
Dr. John C. Lipman, MDDr. John C. Lipman, MD
Yes. "Female cancer" is a cancer of the female reproductive tract. If a patient has undergone comple...
Have Gynecological Cancers Rates of Incidence Increased?
What Is the Treatment for Uterine Cancer?