What exercises can I do while recovering from a gynecological cancer?

Abdominal and back-strengthening exercises will help you recover after surgeries and treatments for any gynecological cancers. In general, doctors will place a six-week restriction on lifting and other strenuous activities. Before starting any exercise program, be sure to check with your doctor. Your body needs time to heal, so don't rush into anything strenuous.
  • Pelvic Lift: Lie on the floor or in bed and squeeze your pelvic floor muscles ("Kegel" muscles) and hold. Relax and then repeat.
  • Abdominal Crunch: Lie on the floor with your knees bent. Place your hands behind your head. Lift your head and shoulders up (keep your chin up) while pressing your back against the floor. Slowly lower your head to the floor. Repeat.
  • Buttocks Crunch: Stand up straight with your heels together and your toes apart. Tighten your abdominal and buttocks muscles without causing pain or holding your breath. Squeeze pelvic floor muscles while pressing your inner thighs together. Hold as long as you can without becoming uncomfortable. Remember to breathe slowly and steadily while holding. Repeat.

Continue Learning about Gynecologic Cancers

How do gynecologic cancers affect the body?
Gynecologic cancers can cause pain in the pelvic region and abdomen, and may occur with intercourse....
What is atypical glandular cell (AGC)?
Atypical glandular cell, also referred to as AGC, is a term used to describe abnormal cells that com...
Can I Still Have Children after Treatment for Uterine Cancer?
What Is the Treatment for Uterine Cancer?