What is a gynecologic oncologist?

Samar Nahas, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)
In this video, Samar Nahas, MD, from Riverside Community Hospital, explains what exactly a gynecological oncologist is and what her responsibilities are to her patients. 
Kevin R. Brader, MD
Gynecologic Oncology
Gynecologic oncologists are the only comprehensive cancer practitioners who can perform all treatments for gynecologic cancer such as surgery, chemotherapy and radiation therapy. They are trained to perform surgery to find and remove tumors that have spread in the pelvic and abdominal areas. Studies have shown that when these specialists perform the first surgery, especially for ovarian and uterine cancers, women experience better outcomes.

Trinity Health is a Catholic health care organization that acts in accordance with the Catholic tradition and does not condone or support all practices covered in this site. In case of emergency call 911. This site is educational and not a substitute for professional medical advice, always seek the advice of a qualified healthcare provider.
Nimesh P. Nagarsheth, MD
Gynecologic Oncology
Gynecologic oncologists take care of women-specific cancers like ovarian and cervical cancer. In this video, Nimesh Nagarsheth, MD, a gynecolgic oncologist at The Mount Sinai Medical Center, discusses the diseases he treats.
A gynecologic oncology specialist is a medical doctor who receives an additional four years of training after completing a residency in obstetrics and gynecology. During this training, he or she acquires highly specialized expertise to stage, diagnose and treat all types of gynecologic cancer.

A gynecologic oncologist is trained to perform surgical procedures to remove as much cancer as possible, while sparing healthy tissue. These procedures often involve nearby organs and may include: colon resection, splenectomy and removal of tumors from the diaphragm.

In addition to learning these specialized surgical techniques, a gynecologic oncologist is trained to provide chemotherapy and comprehensive oncology care to a woman throughout the course of ovarian cancer treatment.
Gynecologic oncologists treat women with cancers of the pelvic and reproductive areas.
Sharyn N. Lewin, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)
It is important for a woman who has developed a gynecologic cancer to be treated by a Gynecologic Oncologist. We are specialists, who have an additional 3-4 years of education and experience after completing training as an Obstetrican-Gynecologist.  We have specialized surgical training and can safely perform the extensive operations required for cancers of the ovary, uterus, fallopian tubes, vagina and vulva. Unlike general surgeons and obstetrics/gynecologists, we are more likely to perform cytoreductive (extensive removal of tumor) operations resulting in better survivals and outcomes.

Continue Learning about Gynecologic Cancers

Are gynecologic cancers serious?
Gynecologic cancers are serious. In 2005, over 27,000 women died from gynecologic cancers. About 32 ...
Should I talk to my doctor about uterine sarcoma?
If you show any symptoms of uterine sarcoma, it is important to talk with your doctor. In particular...
Can I Still Have Children after Treatment for Uterine Cancer?
What Is the Treatment for Uterine Cancer?