What causes gynecologic cancers?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Gynecologic cancers are typically caused by a genetic mutation at the cellular level in a woman's reproductive organs. Cells can begin to grow abnormally fast and form a tumor. These cells can then metastasize and infect other organs and body systems. The cause of such cancers is often not clear; risk factors can include an unhealthy diet and lifestyle (smoking, lack of exercise, etc.) and a family history of disease. Other risk factors may be specific to the type of gynecologic cancer. For example, infection with the human papilloma virus raises the risk for cervical cancer, and diabetes or high blood pressure make uterine and endometrial cancers more likely.

Continue Learning about Gynecologic Cancers

Have Gynecological Cancers Rates of Incidence Increased?
What Is Uterine Cancer?
What Is Uterine Cancer?
Can I Still Have Children after Treatment for Uterine Cancer?
What Is the Treatment for Uterine Cancer?