How does surgery treat uterine sarcoma?

Surgery is the first treatment used for uterine sarcoma, and there are several surgical treatment options. These could involve hysterectomy (removal of the uterus), radical hysterectomy (removal of the uterus and surrounding tissues), bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy (removal of the ovaries and fallopian tubes), or lymphadenectomy (removal of the pelvic lymph nodes). Imaging tests and biopsy will help the surgeon decide how extensive the surgery needs to be.

Continue Learning about Gynecologic Cancers

What is uterine sarcoma?
Uterine sarcoma is a type of cancer that originates in the muscle and tissues of the uterus. Uterine...
What causes gynecologic cancers?
Gynecologic cancers are typically caused by a genetic mutation at the cellular level in a woman's re...
What Is Uterine Cancer?
What Is Uterine Cancer?
Can I Still Have Children after Treatment for Uterine Cancer?