Should I get regular pelvic exams to prevent gynecologic cancers?

Regular pelvic exams can help your doctor detect some types of gynecologic cancers in their early stages, when treatment is usually most successful. Cervical cancer, vaginal cancer and vulvar cancer are often diagnosed this way. Due to heightened awareness of the importance of early detection to successful cancer treatment, the rates of incidence of cervical and other types of gynecologic cancers have been greatly reduced over the past 40 years.

Continue Learning about Gynecologic Cancers

How do gynecologic cancers affect the body?
Gynecologic cancers can cause pain in the pelvic region and abdomen, and may occur with intercourse....
How is uterine sarcoma staged?
Staging for uterine sarcoma is determined surgically. Grade I uterine sarcoma is when cancer cells a...
Can I Still Have Children after Treatment for Uterine Cancer?
Have Gynecological Cancers Rates of Incidence Increased?