Who is at risk for gynecologic cancer?

Samar Nahas, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)
Risks of certain types of cancer vary from person to person and condition to condition. Samar Nahas, MD, from Riverside Community Hospital discusses the influence genes and other factors may have on increasing the risk of cancer in this video.
Sharyn N. Lewin, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)
Every woman is at risk for developing cancer. Breast cancer is the most common   cancer in women while gynecologic cancer (reproductive organs) follows behind lung and colon-rectal cancers.

Every year, over 70,000 women are diagnosed with gynecologic cancers and about 27,000 die.
Deborah Davis
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)
The causes and risk factors of gynecologic cancer vary among the different types, but there are some common risks:
HPV infection
DES exposure (synthetic estrogen given to women before 1971 during pregnancy to prevent miscarriage, but ultimately causing health risks to the expectant mother and daughters/son they carried)
Smoking
HIV/AIDS infection
There are also gynecologic risk factors that we have no control over like age, race and family history of certain diseases and conditions that elevate our risk.  A risk factor is not a prerequisite to developing a disease; some women will still develop a gynecologic cancer despite not having any risk factor for it.

Continue Learning about Gynecologic Cancers

What are the benefits of minimally invasive surgery for gynecologic cancer?
Rochelle Brandon, MDRochelle Brandon, MD
Equipment and surgical techniques have been developed to allow many gynecologic cancer procedure...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with uterine sarcoma?
You can help care for someone with uterine sarcoma by accompanying them to their doctor's appointmen...
Have Gynecological Cancers Rates of Incidence Increased?
Can I Still Have Children after Treatment for Uterine Cancer?