How can I avoid foot diseases when I'm barefoot in exercise studios?

Sadie Lincoln
Sadie Lincoln on behalf of barre3
Fitness
Working barefoot can make a lot of clients uncomfortable. The yoga principles and standards that have followed the practice of yoga for thousands of years are done barefoot. In our studios, we like clients to work as close to their natural state as possible, and our cork flooring is a wonderful surface for exercising and supporting the bottom of the foot, and therefore the entire body. It also happens to be a very hygienic and anti-microbial surface. We also love wearing toe socks, which protects the foot, and has a sticky grab on the bottom of it which leads to a more productive workout. In contemplating taking a class barefoot, feel free to ask a studio owner how often the studios are cleaned, and what other measures are taken to ensure they are sanitary. And of course, washing your feet before and after class and wearing supportive socks or shoes will help to keep contagious disease at bay.
The best way to reduce the risk of contracting diseases of the foot is to keep the floor of the gym disinfected after each class that enters the studio. Keeping all mats, and surfaces your clients may come in contact disinfected would help decrease the risk of spread of infections as well.

Continue Learning about Gyms/Health Clubs

How can I find out if the staff of a gym is degreed and certified?
Jeff Croswell , NASM Elite TrainerJeff Croswell , NASM Elite Trainer
There is a easy way to find out if your trainer is certified.  Just ask.  Any certified personal tra...
Does bigger mean better when it comes to health clubs?
Not necessarily. A health club that is perfect for one person might be abhorrent to another. You sho...
How to Choose a Gym
How to Choose a Gym
For a Better Workout, Avoid These Exercise Mistakes