What is the first thing I should do when I get to the gym?

One of the first things to do upon arriving at the gym is to begin your warm-up process. First, start by releasing any unwanted tension in the muscles through a self-massage technique called foam rolling. A facility's foam rollers are usually kept with the floor mats and other flexibility equipment. Next, perform some stretches on muscles that feel tense or tight. Hold each stretch for about 30 seconds to allow the muscle time to relax and elongate. If you are not sure as to how to stretch, ask a fitness professional at the gym to show you the proper technique. Finally, increase your body's core temperature through some form of aerobic/cardio activity that you perform for 5-10 minutes. It is important not to skip this step since cold muscles and tendons are more susceptible to injury. Also, aerobic activity will help increase oxygen and blood flow to the exercising muscles. Once your body is warmed-up, you are ready to begin the main portion of your workout.

Continue Learning about Gyms/Health Clubs

What percent of Americans belong to health clubs?
About 16% of the American population (about 50.2 million) currently belongs to a health club. Learn ...
What should I be looking for in a gym environment?
What should I be looking for in a gym environment? A gym should feel comfortable and the staff shoul...
Do I need to join a gym to lose weight?
Learn how you can lose weight by using only your body.
Do I need a gym membership?
It depends on your needs and goals. Gyms offer amenities and an environment many people find helpful...