Why do some gymnasts wear straps on their hands?

These straps, called grips or hand guards, are often worn by gymnasts who perform a lot of swinging elements on the uneven bars, high bar, or rings to help them grip the bars or rings more easily. By helping the gymnasts stay securely on the bars or rings, the straps allow gymnasts to perform swinging skills more confidently. Grips can also help protect the gymnasts’ hands from getting rips or sores, but cannot completely prevent this injury. (This answer provided for NATA by the Saint Louis University Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Gymnastics

How can I increase core strength for gymnastics?
Gymnastics and core strength seem almost synonymous. The powerful core muscles are needed for every ...
What are some power exercises for legs that a gymnast can do?
An increase in either force or velocity can produce an increase of power. For maximal results, h...
Will strength training help my gymnastics?
Yes, strength training will help in gymnastics. Due to the demands in the sport, strength traini...
How do I know if I am getting enough conditioning in my gymnastics?
Possibly. Conditioning for gymnastics is obtained by following the lead of a good coach and by pract...