What exercises can I do at home for upper-body gymnastic strength?

There are many exercises you can do at home to help increase your upper-body strength for gymnastics. If you have a chin up bar or swing set, you can perform different pull up variations (normal grip, reverse grip, wide grip), skin the cats, and icecream makers. Push ups, incline push ups, handstand push ups, and tricep dips are other great upper body exercises you can perform at home.

As with any gymnastics skill, performing your strength training exercises with correct technique and posture is crucial. You want to make sure you are working the right muscles in the right way in order to gain maximum results from your strength training routine and prevent possible muscle imbalances and/or injuries from occuring.

Rest and recovery is also important therefore be sure to train your upper-body on non-consecutive days.

Pull-ups, chin-ups, and push-ups are good upper-body exercises to increase strength for gymnastics and can be done at home.A high quality pull-up bar can be mounted in a door frame.Rope climbing can also be done if there is room outdoors, a steady attachment site and space around it.A mat should be used underneath the rope, and supervision is suggested.Executing any movement without correct stability and flexibility will lead to muscular imbalances and probable injury.Therefore, it is advisable to obtain skills of foundational training before beginning strength movements. 

Continue Learning about Gymnastics

Can strength and conditioning be helpful for gymnasts?
Strength and conditioning is important and helpful for all sports and athletes including gymnasts. I...
How can I increase my upper-body strength for gymnastics?
Upper-body strength is a great asset for gymnastics, and a much needed component of a performance tr...
How can I become more powerful during my gymnastics floor routine?
Floor routines include tumbles, leaps, turns, flips, and backward and forward twists. Balance, stren...
What conditioning can I do at home for gymnastics?
Exercises that include core work are extremely important and are crucial for success as a gymnas...