What exercises can I do at home for upper-body gymnastic strength?

There are many exercises you can do at home to help increase your upper-body strength for gymnastics. If you have a chin up bar or swing set, you can perform different pull up variations (normal grip, reverse grip, wide grip), skin the cats, and icecream makers. Push ups, incline push ups, handstand push ups, and tricep dips are other great upper body exercises you can perform at home.

As with any gymnastics skill, performing your strength training exercises with correct technique and posture is crucial. You want to make sure you are working the right muscles in the right way in order to gain maximum results from your strength training routine and prevent possible muscle imbalances and/or injuries from occuring.

Rest and recovery is also important therefore be sure to train your upper-body on non-consecutive days.

Pull-ups, chin-ups, and push-ups are good upper-body exercises to increase strength for gymnastics and can be done at home.A high quality pull-up bar can be mounted in a door frame.Rope climbing can also be done if there is room outdoors, a steady attachment site and space around it.A mat should be used underneath the rope, and supervision is suggested.Executing any movement without correct stability and flexibility will lead to muscular imbalances and probable injury.Therefore, it is advisable to obtain skills of foundational training before beginning strength movements. 

Continue Learning about Gymnastics

Are gymnastic events considered aerobic or anaerobic?
Gymnastics events are anaerobic, but the practices involve a lot of the aerobic system with quic...
What can help me avoid injury during a gymnastics dismount?
The dismount off of an apparatus is more dangerous than other landings due to the higher force o...
Can resistance training increase my endurance during gymnastics?
Resistance training in the form of circuit training can increase endurance for participation in ...
How many times per week should I be doing cardio training for gymnastics?
Cardiovascular training for gymnasts be should added for varying amounts of time depending on th...