Is there a way to know if my core is working correctly for gymnastics?

An assessment of the core can be done by a qualified health care practitioner or physical therapist. It is important that the right muscles are working at the right time for ultimate results and proper core usage. Poor movement patterns and poor neuromuscular control equate to poor stabilization. Any muscle or joint imbalance must be corrected before beginning a core strengthening routine. Beginning core exercises that can be assessed may include the task of drawing-in or bracing the abdominals, a plank exercise, or a prone cobra. These are a small sample of some core exercises that must be mastered before moving on to more advanced moves.

Continue Learning about Gymnastics

What flexibilitly warm-ups can I do for gymnastics?
To start, you can foam roll the tight regions of the body to help loosen up the muscles. Some ke...
Are gymnastic events considered aerobic or anaerobic?
Gymnastics events are anaerobic, but the practices involve a lot of the aerobic system with quic...
How do I increase my endurance for the vault in gymnastics?
Vaulting involves straight ahead speed, or sprinting, before hitting the spring board. Without p...
Why do some gymnasts wear straps on their hands?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
These straps, called grips or hand guards, are often worn by gymnasts who perform a lot of swing...