What strength exercises can be done to enhance gymnastic performance?

Strength exercises that utilize bodyweight are very helpful. Seated rope climbing, push-ups, pull-ups, hanging leg raises, back extensions, and stability ball pikes are a few bodyweight exercises that are challenging and effective for the gymnast. Gymnasts need relative strength which is the maximum force that an individual can generate per unit of bodyweight, regardless of the time of force development. This type of strength is necessary for the gymnast to control the body against gravity or external resistance. A knowledge of how to stabilize the body correctly is paramount before attempting to execute strength exercises.

Continue Learning about Gymnastics

How can I become more powerful during my gymnastics floor routine?
Floor routines include tumbles, leaps, turns, flips, and backward and forward twists. Balance, stren...
How can I work circuit training into gymnastics conditioning?
Circuit training is a great way to work both a cardiovascular and strength training session into...
What are some power exercises for legs that a gymnast can do?
An increase in either force or velocity can produce an increase of power. For maximal results, h...
What dynamic stretches can I do for gymnastics?
Dynamic stretches are a great preactivity warm-up and should be included for all athletes. These...