How can I become more powerful during my gymnastics floor routine?

Floor routines include tumbles, leaps, turns, flips, and backward and forward twists. Balance, strength, stamina, timing, and power are all required for these elements. Improving the power component takes adequate skills of stabilization and strength first. An example of a stabilization exercise for the legs is a single-leg squat touchdown. To begin this exercise, stand with the feet shoulder-width apart and pointed straight ahead. With the abdominals and gluteals activated, lift one leg beside the balance leg and slowly squat as if sitting in a chair, while reaching the hand opposite to the balance leg toward the foot. Slowly stand up using the gluteals to a fully extended hip. Work up to 12 repetitions in a controlled manner with no compensations such as a knee caving. Once one has become stable, you can now begin incorporating exercises to improve strength, such a dumbbell squat. To begin a dumbbell squat, stand with some dumbbells at your side with your feet shoulder-width apart and pointing straight ahead. Squat down to roughly the height of a chair and stand back up. Keep the abdominals tight and use your gluteals to stand back up. Make sure that the knees stay in line with the toes when squatting. Perform 2-3 sets of 8-10 repetitions. Without proper exercise progressions, ultimate power will not be achieved and injury may result. It is advisable to have a health care practitioner design a program that contains stabilization, strength, and power protocols. Moving systematically with appropriate exercise selections will allow for the safe accomplishment of all goals.

Continue Learning about Gymnastics

Is there a way to know if my core is working correctly for gymnastics?
An assessment of the core can be done by a qualified health care practitioner or physical therap...
Can posture enhance my gymnastics performance?
Posture is the static and dynamic alignment of all structures of the body at any given moment, a...
What can cause muscular imbalances in gymnasts?
Eric Beard Eric Beard
Muscular imbalances in gymnasts can be caused be several things. Commonly routines or moves are prac...
Is cardio or strength training more important for gymnastics?
The demands on a gymnast are usually short during competition, and because of this, the cardiova...