How can I become more powerful during my gymnastics floor routine?

Floor routines include tumbles, leaps, turns, flips, and backward and forward twists. Balance, strength, stamina, timing, and power are all required for these elements. Improving the power component takes adequate skills of stabilization and strength first. An example of a stabilization exercise for the legs is a single-leg squat touchdown. To begin this exercise, stand with the feet shoulder-width apart and pointed straight ahead. With the abdominals and gluteals activated, lift one leg beside the balance leg and slowly squat as if sitting in a chair, while reaching the hand opposite to the balance leg toward the foot. Slowly stand up using the gluteals to a fully extended hip. Work up to 12 repetitions in a controlled manner with no compensations such as a knee caving. Once one has become stable, you can now begin incorporating exercises to improve strength, such a dumbbell squat. To begin a dumbbell squat, stand with some dumbbells at your side with your feet shoulder-width apart and pointing straight ahead. Squat down to roughly the height of a chair and stand back up. Keep the abdominals tight and use your gluteals to stand back up. Make sure that the knees stay in line with the toes when squatting. Perform 2-3 sets of 8-10 repetitions. Without proper exercise progressions, ultimate power will not be achieved and injury may result. It is advisable to have a health care practitioner design a program that contains stabilization, strength, and power protocols. Moving systematically with appropriate exercise selections will allow for the safe accomplishment of all goals.

Continue Learning about Gymnastics

Does correct breathing affect endurance for gymnasts?
Breathing correctly can have a direct impact on endurance. Oxygen is needed to supply working mu...
Should my flexibility be tested before starting gymnastics?
A flexibility assessment is a great start to see what general muscle imbalances or joint restric...
Is the training facility important for gymnastics?
The training facility is extremely important for gymnastics. A trusted recommendation or referra...
Can strength and conditioning be helpful for gymnasts?
Strength and conditioning is important and helpful for all sports and athletes including gymnasts. I...