What can help me stick my landings in gymnastics?

Sticking the landing in gymnastics refers to a non-wobbling finish off an apparatus or at the completion of an element.This requires exceptional skill, body awareness while moving and landing, and the ability to reduce forces and stabilize at the same time. An exercise to help control the body decelerating when landing is a box jump-down to stabilization. To perform this exercise, stand on a box or platform of about six to eight inches high. Feet should be shoulder-width apart facing straight ahead. The hips should be in a neutral position, chest lifted, and chin tucked in. With the abdominals tight, jump off of the box, landing softly with toes pointing straight ahead, and knees in-line with the second to third toes. Watch for caving inward of the knees and loss of neutral spine and hips.Repeat this exercise with good control for eight to ten repetitions. This exercise can also be done jumping off to the side as opposed to front, as well as adding a quarter or half turn in the air.

Continue Learning about Gymnastics

Can strength and conditioning help with fatigue during gymnastics?
A good strength and conditioning program can help with fatigue. A body can become fatigued not o...
What exercises can I do at home for upper-body gymnastic strength?
Kristy Lee Wilson - Sharecare Fitness ExpertKristy Lee Wilson - Sharecare Fitness Expert
There are many exercises you can do at home to help increase your upper-body strength for gymnastics...
How can I become more powerful during my gymnastics floor routine?
Floor routines include tumbles, leaps, turns, flips, and backward and forward twists. Balance, stren...
Is there a way to test my speed form for gymnastics?
Speed is the ability to move the body in one intended direction as fast as possible. This skill ...