What can help me stick my landings in gymnastics?

Sticking the landing in gymnastics refers to a non-wobbling finish off an apparatus or at the completion of an element.This requires exceptional skill, body awareness while moving and landing, and the ability to reduce forces and stabilize at the same time. An exercise to help control the body decelerating when landing is a box jump-down to stabilization. To perform this exercise, stand on a box or platform of about six to eight inches high. Feet should be shoulder-width apart facing straight ahead. The hips should be in a neutral position, chest lifted, and chin tucked in. With the abdominals tight, jump off of the box, landing softly with toes pointing straight ahead, and knees in-line with the second to third toes. Watch for caving inward of the knees and loss of neutral spine and hips.Repeat this exercise with good control for eight to ten repetitions. This exercise can also be done jumping off to the side as opposed to front, as well as adding a quarter or half turn in the air.

Continue Learning about Gymnastics

How do I increase my endurance for the vault in gymnastics?
Vaulting involves straight ahead speed, or sprinting, before hitting the spring board. Without p...
What are some power exercises for legs that a gymnast can do?
An increase in either force or velocity can produce an increase of power. For maximal results, h...
Is cardio or strength training more important for gymnastics?
The demands on a gymnast are usually short during competition, and because of this, the cardiova...
What can cause muscular imbalances in gymnasts?
In gymnastics, as well as other sports, common causes for muscle imbalances include postural str...