What do gymnasts need to stretch the most?

Quite often, a gymnast's calf musculature is very tight. There is a great amount of time spent on the toes in gymnastics which is the main cause of this tightness. A flexibility technique that can be used on this area is called self-myofascial release, or foam rolling. Self-myofascial release uses a foam roller which can rid the body of tenderness and knots in muscles. This tool can precede stretching. A static calf stretch can be done by facing a wall with one leg back, and hands on the wall. The knee and foot should point straight ahead with the back heel down on the floor. Without changing the alignment of the back foot or letting the arch of the foot flatten, bend the elbows to lean into the wall. Postural alignment should be kept throughout the stretch. Other muscles that gymnasts need to stretch may include the inner thigh muscles, muscles that flex the hips, or shoulders. It is best to have an assessment completed to reveal individual tightness or muscle imbalances. This can be done by a certified health care practitioner.

Continue Learning about Gymnastics

How can I increase core strength for gymnastics?
Gymnastics and core strength seem almost synonymous. The powerful core muscles are needed for every ...
How can I work circuit training into gymnastics conditioning?
Circuit training is a great way to work both a cardiovascular and strength training session into...
Should my flexibility be tested before starting gymnastics?
A flexibility assessment is a great start to see what general muscle imbalances or joint restric...
What can I work on at home for gymnastics?
Gymnastics takes many hours of practice, so it is a good idea to work on components of the sport...