How do I increase my endurance for the vault in gymnastics?

Vaulting involves straight ahead speed, or sprinting, before hitting the spring board. Without proper running mechanics, speed and endurance can be reduced. Optimal running mechanics involve proper alignment of the feet, knees, hips, shoulders, and head. The feet should point straight ahead without excessive flattening or external rotation of the foot. If alignment is improper, abnormal stresses will be created throughout the body resulting in decreased performance and possible injury. Knees should remain straight ahead without excessive caving inward. Improper alignment can cause decreased force production and overuse injuries. The hips and back should remain in neutral alignment without excessive flexion or extension at the spine. Shoulder and head carriage should remain relaxed, and in-line with the rest of the body. Compensations in mechanics reduce speed potential and can reduce overall endurance. It is advisable to have running mechanics assessed to reveal any detrimental positions.

Continue Learning about Gymnastics

Can posture enhance my gymnastics performance?
Posture is the static and dynamic alignment of all structures of the body at any given moment, a...
What strength exercises can be done to enhance gymnastic performance?
Strength exercises that utilize bodyweight are very helpful. Seated rope climbing, push-ups, pul...
Will balance tools help my gymnastics?
Balance training with the right tools can be very fun, rewarding, and increase confidence during...
How do beginners practice skills for gymnastics?
Beginners should always practice gymnastic skills with supervision. Most skills are practiced in the...