Does correct breathing affect endurance for gymnasts?

Breathing correctly can have a direct impact on endurance. Oxygen is needed to supply working muscles. Inadequate oxygen supply to muscles can create fatigue or a feeling of stiffness in the muscles. Improper breathing can also affect posture, especially around the spine, neck, and rib cage which can cause joint restrictions. So, correct breathing is very important to prevent fatigue, allow muscles and joints to work properly, and increase overall endurance. It is typical to exhibit short and shallow breaths when nervous. Gymnasts may experience this while sprinting towards the vault, during a tumbling run, or throughout competitions. It is advisable to practice proper breathing techniques inside and outside of the gym so it becomes a habit. Conscious work on breathing during practice will make breathing easier during competition.

Continue Learning about Gymnastics

How do I know if I am getting enough conditioning in my gymnastics?
Possibly. Conditioning for gymnastics is obtained by following the lead of a good coach and by pract...
What are some power exercises for legs that a gymnast can do?
An increase in either force or velocity can produce an increase of power. For maximal results, h...
Is the training facility important for gymnastics?
The training facility is extremely important for gymnastics. A trusted recommendation or referra...
What should a beginning gymnast do to prevent injury?
A beginning gymnast needs to understand the complete definition of body awareness and focus before t...