What can I work on at home for gymnastics?

Gymnastics takes many hours of practice, so it is a good idea to work on components of the sport at home. However, working on elements such as somersaults or cartwheels requires available space, a good padded mat, and a spotter. If these requirements are not met, practice should be avoided at home. It is always possible to work on flexibility in the home environment. Gymnasts need a tremendous amount of elasticity throughout the entire body, and usually they display tightness in certain areas. Coaches can recommend what individual muscles need more attention. Tight or restricted areas can also be revealed through an assessment by a certified trainer. It is very important to know not only what to stretch, but how to stretch for the best results and to avoid injury.

Continue Learning about Gymnastics

What are the basic skills needed for gymnastics?
Basic skills required for the gymnast are flexibility, core strength, balance, upper and lower-b...
Can strength and conditioning help me on the uneven bars in gymnastics?
Strength and conditioning is important and should be included in a gymnast's training program.It...
Should my flexibility be tested before starting gymnastics?
A flexibility assessment is a great start to see what general muscle imbalances or joint restric...
What strength exercises can be done to enhance gymnastic performance?
Strength exercises that utilize bodyweight are very helpful. Seated rope climbing, push-ups, pul...