Can anybody do gymnastics?

Anyone can do recreational gymnastics however it takes extreme discipline, dedication, hard work and sacrifice to make it to the top level as an elite gymnast.

Gymnastics is a fantastic sport and has many benefits that are physical, emotional and developmental to all individuals involved. Perhaps one of the biggest benefits is the great shape you will be in as a gymnast! Because of the strenuous nature of gymnastics, it is important that all gymnasts be in the best physical condition possible.

Gymnastics has also been shown to greatly help improve confidence levels, particularly in children. Gymnastics can help children come out of their shell and connect with new friends with similar interests.

Gymnastics has the ability to teach responsibility and goal setting, as each gymnast is ultimately responsible for his or her own results. By training hard, setting challenging yet realistic goals, and always giving your maximal effort, it's possible to determine just how successful you will be as a gymnast.

Gymnastics will also help develop and improve body awareness, flexibility, balance and coordination. All things that are essential in our everyday lives.

Yes and no.It is advisable to begin with a medical assessment before starting gymnastics to ensure the body is ready for the rigors of training.Even for beginners, training is physically and mentally tough.The challenges are also fun and exciting, and great joy can be found in the process of learning and accomplishing gymnastic feats.Another way to see if there is true interest in the sport and to get a feel for what it takes to participate in gymnastics is to view practices at a well-established facility.Seeing a variety of moves, how coaches work, and the intensity of the sport can help with the decision of participation.

Continue Learning about Gymnastics

How do I increase my endurance for the vault in gymnastics?
Vaulting involves straight ahead speed, or sprinting, before hitting the spring board. Without p...
What can help me avoid injury during a gymnastics dismount?
The dismount off of an apparatus is more dangerous than other landings due to the higher force o...
Can strength and conditioning be helpful for gymnasts?
Strength and conditioning is important and helpful for all sports and athletes including gymnasts. I...
What can help me stick my landings in gymnastics?
Sticking the landing in gymnastics refers to a non-wobbling finish off an apparatus or at the co...