What should a beginning gymnast do to prevent injury?

A beginning gymnast needs to understand the complete definition of body awareness and focus before they can prevent injury. This means being aware of body orientation at all times, with all movements.For example, a gymnast should know exactly how far the body has rotated or twisted. This is important for perfecting skills, and also for knowing when and how to safely land, especially if something has gone wrong.A beginner should never attempt a skill that is unfamiliar, especially without complete understanding of how to execute it. If the execution of a skill is not understood, it is important to ask the coach for further instruction before attempting the move. Precise technique and continued focus are mandatory for the success and completion of gymnastic elements.Wearing appropriate attire, having hair tied back, and working in a quiet environment is also important to keep the training process safe.

Continue Learning about Gymnastics

What can help me avoid injury during a gymnastics dismount?
The dismount off of an apparatus is more dangerous than other landings due to the higher force o...
Should my flexibility be tested before starting gymnastics?
A flexibility assessment is a great start to see what general muscle imbalances or joint restric...
What conditioning can I do at home for gymnastics?
Exercises that include core work are extremely important and are crucial for success as a gymnas...
Are there balance drills for gymnasts?
Balance is a huge component of gymnastics and drills can enhance performance. Drills for balance i...