Can ballet help my gymnastic ability?

Ballet is excellent for improving posture, core, discipline, balance, flexibility, and lower-body strength. These components can help a gymnast in many ways.Posture and core are of the utmost importance to gymnastic performance. During gymnastics, posture can become distorted due to the bending, twisting, and executing of moves that go far beyond daily functional activities. In ballet, posture is the foundation of every movement, be it static or dynamic. Learning to command the body and postural alignment in a controlled environment with strict form can carry over togymnastic training. Alongside postural awareness is core control which is also the foundation for all movement.Gymnasts need to be flexible, but remain tight at the same time. Staying tight and attaining the ability to rid the body of unwanted motion begins with core control which allows for efficient movements without wasted energy. There are many ways to improve gymnastic ability, and ballet is a great supplement for skill enhancement.

Continue Learning about Gymnastics

How can I increase core strength for gymnastics?
Gymnastics and core strength seem almost synonymous. The powerful core muscles are needed for every ...
What do gymnasts need to stretch the most?
Quite often, a gymnast's calf musculature is very tight. There is a great amount of time spent on ...
How does staying tight reduce gymnastic injuries?
A gymnast is often told to stay tight, or keep the body tense, while executing movements. It is ...
What conditioning can I do at home for gymnastics?
Exercises that include core work are extremely important and are crucial for success as a gymnas...