What increases my risk for Guillain-Barre syndrome?

Certain types of infections (cytomegalovirus, Epstein-Barr virus, smallpox-vaccinia, hepatitis B or C, and HIV), surgery. and less commonly vaccinations are known to trigger GBS and thus increase one's risk of developing GBS. 
While viral infections and exposure to vaccinations are common in most people, it should be understood that GBS is a very rare condition. 
Guillain-Barre syndrome can affect anyone, but most people develop the condition during adulthood. You may be at a greater risk for Guillain-Barre syndrome if you have recently had an infection, surgery, or immunizations. In rare cases, the syndrome has been linked to infection with the tropical Zika virus. People with Hodgkin's disease, HIV, Epstein-Barr virus, or mononucleosis are also at higher risk.

Continue Learning about Guillain-Barre Syndrome (GBS)

What is the prognosis for someone with Guillain-Barre syndrome?
The lasting effects of Guillain-Barre syndrome vary widely. For some the symptoms resolve within wee...
Are there any clinical trials for Guillain-Barre syndrome?
Darshan N. Shah, MDDarshan N. Shah, MD
There are several ongoing clinical trials attempting to determine the different causes, new treatmen...
Should I talk to my doctor about Guillain-Barre syndrome?
If you experience any of the symptoms of Guillain-Barre syndrome, you should call your doctor. Tingl...
What is Guillain-Barré syndrome (GBS)?
Darshan N. Shah, MDDarshan N. Shah, MD
Guillain Barre Syndrome (GBS) is an autoimmune disease in which the patient's immune system attacks ...