Are there any complications to Guillain-Barre syndrome?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

The aggressive nature of Guillain-Barre syndrome leads to a high risk of complications in the early stages. If the progress of the disease is not monitored, paralysis can spread to the heart and the muscles controlling breathing. Even with treatment, there may be long-term problems with coordination, flexibility, and numbness.

Continue Learning about Guillain-Barre Syndrome (GBS)

What do I need to know to care for someone with Guillain-Barre syndrome?
The most essential care to give someone with Guillain-Barre syndrome is to get them immediate medica...
How do medications treat Guillain-Barre syndrome?
Although corticosteroids have been tested as a treatment option for Guillain-Barre syndrome, they ha...
Should I talk to my doctor about Guillain-Barre syndrome?
If you experience any of the symptoms of Guillain-Barre syndrome, you should call your doctor. Tingl...
What is the prognosis for someone with Guillain-Barre syndrome?
The lasting effects of Guillain-Barre syndrome vary widely. For some the symptoms resolve within wee...