Who is most at risk for emotional trauma?

Females are more likely to experience sexual assault and child sexual abuse than males. And even though males are more likely to experience accidents, disaster, combat, and nonsexual assault, women who do experience these potentially traumatic events are more likely to develop symptoms of post-traumatic stress syndrome from the emotional trauma. Experiencing even greater risk, however, are children, whose exposure to traumatic events at a critical, developmental time is more likely to put them at risk of recurring emotional trauma later in life.

Continue Learning about Grief & Emotional Health

Coping with Sudden Loss
Coping with Sudden Loss
Grieving the sudden loss of a loved one can be difficult and heartbreaking. We spoke with licensed psychotherapist Julie Hanks, PhD, LCSW, for tips on...
How can I cope with denial if I am grieving?
Michael E. Hirsch, MDMichael E. Hirsch, MD
Often it's easier to recognize denial in others than in ourselves. If you think denial might be inte...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with emotional trauma?
When a loved one is experiencing emotional trauma, you should endeavor to keep them comfortable and ...
Feeling the Presence of Lost Loved Ones
Feeling the Presence of Lost Loved Ones