Who can give me support when I am grieving?

If you are fortunate, family and friends can provide a strong source of support. Often, a death prompts people to think about what's important in life. It can break down barriers built up years ago and motivate people to help one another.

But it's wise to realize that you may not be the only mourner. Others may be grieving the same loss in their own ways and find it stirs up their own fears and feelings. Some may actively take a step back from you. Some may be full of unhelpful, even hurtful, comments.

Alan D. Wolfelt, a grief counselor and author of Healing Your Grieving Heart, suggests identifying three people who can staunchly support you in the coming weeks and months. Think about who is the most helpful and the least judgmental in your circle. Ask them whether they can help by listening to you when you need to talk and spending time with you when you need support.

Continue Learning about Grief & Emotional Health

Change, Loss and Grief: Are Your Reactions Unhealthy?
Most people think of the grieving process as something experienced only after the death of a loved one. But we grieve for many reasons—be it the loss ...
How does grief affect older adults?
Michael E. Hirsch, MDMichael E. Hirsch, MD
Although people experience losses at every age, the toll mounts as one grows older. As friends a...
How can I help a grieving friend move on?
Avoid judgments. Your friend's life and emotional landscape have changed enormously, possibly foreve...
How Faith Helps the Grieving Process
How Faith Helps the Grieving Process