When should I seek professional help after the death of a loved one?

Sometimes recovering from the loss of a loved one can overwhelm you to the point where you may need to see a professional for guidance -- especially if the grieving process lasts longer than six months. Also, if one’s mourning period accelerates to the point where the mourner starts to consider not going on with life, a professional should be contacted right away.
This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Grief & Emotional Health

How to Handle Your Grief During the Holidays
The holidays should be a time of tremendous joy. But when you’ve experienced a loss—especially if that loss is recent—the season can bring painful fee...
How can I comfort a grieving friend through phone calls?
Michael E. Hirsch, MDMichael E. Hirsch, MD
Call to express your sympathy. Try to steer clear of such phrases as "It's God's will" or "It's ...
How can I handle the anger of a grieving person?
Handle anger gently. People who are grieving sometimes direct angry feelings toward the closest ...
Is It Possible to Die of a Broken Heart?