What should I write in a note to a grieving friend?

If you had a relationship with the deceased, try to include a warm, caring, or funny anecdote that shows how important to you or wonderfully special he or she was. If you didn't know the deceased, offer your sympathy and assure the bereaved that he or she is in your thoughts or prayers.

Continue Learning about Grief & Emotional Health

Change, Loss, and Grief: Are Your Reactions Unhealthy?
Most people think of the grieving process as something experienced only after the death of a loved one. But we grieve for many reasons -- be it the lo...
How does cognitive-behavioral therapy treat emotional trauma?
Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) is designed to help you process your thoughts and feelings follow...
How can I tell people that I need time alone while I am grieving?
Michael E. Hirsch, MDMichael E. Hirsch, MD
Leave the door open. You may wish everyone would just go away and leave you alone to sort through yo...
Who and What You See Near Death
Who and What You See Near Death