What should I write in a note to a grieving friend?

If you had a relationship with the deceased, try to include a warm, caring, or funny anecdote that shows how important to you or wonderfully special he or she was. If you didn't know the deceased, offer your sympathy and assure the bereaved that he or she is in your thoughts or prayers.

Continue Learning about Grief & Emotional Health

Change, Loss, and Grief: Are Your Reactions Unhealthy?
Most people think of the grieving process as something experienced only after the death of a loved one. But we grieve for many reasons -- be it the lo...
What causes emotional trauma?
Events that are unpredictable, unexpected, threatening, uncontrollable, and frightening can result i...
What are some warning signs that I should seek help for my grief?
G R. Smith, MDG R. Smith, MD
Some warning signs that someone should seek help for grief include persistent sadness, sleeplessness...
How a Mother’s Grief Is Different
How a Mother’s Grief Is Different