What is an anniversary effect?

Anniversary Effect, sometimes called Anniversary Reaction, is defined as a unique set of unsettling feelings, thoughts or memories that occur on the anniversary of a significant experience. Sometimes you can trace the reason why you're feeling sad, irritable or anxious. One look at the calendar and you connect the dots from your current emotional state to the traumatic event. For example, the birthday of someone who's no longer alive, the date of an accident,  a natural disaster or a miscarriage, just to name a few.

Continue Learning about Grief & Emotional Health

Change, Loss, and Grief: Are Your Reactions Unhealthy?
Most people think of the grieving process as something experienced only after the death of a loved one. But we grieve for many reasons -- be it the lo...
What are some warning signs that I should seek help for my grief?
G R. Smith, MDG R. Smith, MD
Some warning signs that someone should seek help for grief include persistent sadness, sleeplessness...
Does emotional trauma affect children differently than adults?
Melissa TaylorMelissa Taylor
Depending on the nature of the trauma and its cause, both children and adults can equally suffer dev...
What Is the Mushroom Burial Suit?
What Is the Mushroom Burial Suit?