What good can come from suffering?

Lisa Oz
Health Education

Suffering sucks. Yet, it is so much a part of our lives that Buddha claimed its inevitability as the first of his Four Noble Truths. There is no denying it: life is painful. Then again, more than anything else, how we deal with life's pain defines who we are.

According to William Somerset Maugham, "It is not true that suffering ennobles the character; happiness does that sometimes, but suffering, for the most part, makes men petty and vindictive." While we do not choose to undergo misfortune, we do decide how to react to those events. Suffering does not necessitate degeneration. Negative experiences can also trigger something positive within us. Crisis offers opportunity for change, and pain can be the catalyst for transformation, our greatest tool in the work of ego transcendence.

Continue Learning about Grief & Emotional Health

How can I share my feelings if I am grieving?
Michael E. Hirsch, MDMichael E. Hirsch, MD
Tell people what helps. You might say, "I just need to cry right now," or "There's nothing you c...
How can I connect with a loved one who has died?
Paying attention to coincidences or unusual events is one way to connect with a loved one who ha...
What are some warning signs that I should seek help for my grief?
G R. Smith, MDG R. Smith, MD
Some warning signs that someone should seek help for grief include persistent sadness, sleeplessness...
Why should I be grateful for grief and loss?
Dr. Kathleen HallDr. Kathleen Hall
Be grateful for the kaleidoscope of experiences in your life. It may seem difficult to be gratef...