How can I deal with sleep problems during a period of grief?

Grief is exhausting. Nap if you need to. Go to bed early if you can. If you're having trouble sleeping, try exercising more (but not too close to bedtime). Avoid drinking beverages containing caffeine after 2 p.m., and abstain from alcohol for at least two hours before bedtime. If this isn't sufficiently helpful, talk with your doctor. Sometimes, taking medication for a limited amount of time to help you sleep can help you cope better during the day.
Try to keep a routine sleep schedule. If you need medication to help you with sleep issues, don't feel ashamed. You may also need to talk to your doctor about medication to help regulate your moods or manage your heart issues that can result from your emotional pain. Grief is a significantly stressful time.

Continue Learning about Grief & Emotional Health

Coping with Sudden Loss
Coping with Sudden Loss
Grieving the sudden loss of a loved one can be difficult and heartbreaking. We spoke with licensed psychotherapist Julie Hanks, PhD, LCSW, for tips on...
Why should I be grateful for grief and loss?
Dr. Kathleen HallDr. Kathleen Hall
Be grateful for the kaleidoscope of experiences in your life. It may seem difficult to be gratef...
Is it possible to die of a broken heart?
Dr. Robin Miller, MDDr. Robin Miller, MD
It is possible to die of a broken heart, says Robin Miller, MD. Watch as she explains why losing a p...
Who and What You See Near Death
Who and What You See Near Death