How should I listen to a grieving friend?

Listen well instead of advising. A sympathetic ear is a wonderful thing. A friend who listens even when the same story is told with little variation is even better. Often, people work through grief and trauma by telling their story over and over. Unless you are asked for your advice, don't be quick to offer it. Frequently, those who are grieving really wish others would just listen. It's your understanding—not usually your advice—that is most sorely needed.

Continue Learning about Grief & Emotional Health

Change, Loss, and Grief: Are Your Reactions Unhealthy?
Most people think of the grieving process as something experienced only after the death of a loved one. But we grieve for many reasons -- be it the lo...
How can I handle the anger of a grieving person?
Michael E. Hirsch, MDMichael E. Hirsch, MD
Handle anger gently. People who are grieving sometimes direct angry feelings toward the closest ...
What should I write in a note to a grieving friend?
If you had a relationship with the deceased, try to include a warm, caring, or funny anecdote th...
Who Do You See Before You Die?
Who Do You See Before You Die?