How can previous losses affect my ability to cope with grief?

How you react to the loss of someone you love can be colored by previous painful losses in your life, including job loss, divorce, disabling injury, or even the loss of a community of friends or family after moving to a new location. In addition, unresolved or unacknowledged losses exert their influence on how you react to a new loss. Often, the losses that have the greatest impact occur during childhood. In a sense, later losses expand upon the earlier ones, building a larger and larger wall of grief to cope with. Earlier losses, if left unaddressed, can exaggerate your response to a new loss.

Continue Learning about Grief & Emotional Health

Change, Loss, and Grief: Are Your Reactions Unhealthy?
Most people think of the grieving process as something experienced only after the death of a loved one. But we grieve for many reasons -- be it the lo...
How can automatic writing help me connect with a loved one who has died?
Writing down words and images that pop into your head unexpectedly can help you connect with a l...
How do other illnesses affect emotional trauma?
Sometimes, illness itself can be a contributing cause of emotional trauma. Severe illness or the pro...
The Importance of Organ Donation
The Importance of Organ Donation