How can I help a grieving friend with daily tasks?

Be specific when offering help. Volunteer to shop or do laundry, bring dinner, pass on information about funeral arrangements, or answer the phone. Pitch in to clean up the kitchen. Sometimes your help is most valuable later. A lawyer might volunteer to help with the estate. A handy person might button up the house as winter approaches. A close friend might offer to help go through papers or belongings whenever the bereaved is ready to do so.

Continue Learning about Grief & Emotional Health

Coping with Sudden Loss
Coping with Sudden Loss
Grieving the sudden loss of a loved one can be difficult and heartbreaking. We spoke with licensed psychotherapist Julie Hanks, PhD, LCSW, for tips on...
Why should I be grateful for grief and loss?
Dr. Kathleen HallDr. Kathleen Hall
Be grateful for the kaleidoscope of experiences in your life. It may seem difficult to be gratef...
How does cognitive-behavioral therapy treat emotional trauma?
Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) is designed to help you process your thoughts and feelings follow...
Kathie Lee Gifford Opens Up About Her Faith