How can I help children cope with grief?

Kathy Clair-Hayes
Social Work
At every age, children need hugs and affection. You can also do the following to help children while they are grieving.
  • Allow children to safely express emotions. Sadness, tears, laughter, hurt, anger, relief—try to let your child share her or his feelings with you.
  • Consider what lies beneath. Bravado, obnoxious jokes or behavior, aggressiveness, clinginess, irritability, or apparent indifference can all be expressions of a child's grief. Some children try to comfort others by setting aside their own needs or acting perfect or like little adults. Others would rather make you angry than see you sad.
  • Offer reassurance. In the wake of any tragedy, children worry about what will happen to them. Tell children that they are loved and will be cared for.
  • Try to limit secondary losses. Moving, experiencing the fallout of financial setbacks, and not having someone cheering in the bleachers or attending school events are all examples of secondary losses. Whenever possible, try to preserve a child's routine and recognize feelings that arise as a result of unavoidable changes.
  • Play together and openly encourage joy. If you're grieving, this advice may seem impossible. But remember, a child needs to know it's acceptable to take a break from grief, to have fun again, and to spend loving time in your presence. Let the child be a kid.

Continue Learning about Grief & Emotional Health

6 Ways Grief Affects Your Health
6 Ways Grief Affects Your Health
If you've ever experienced the loss of a loved one, you've likely confronted a period of grief and mourning in the days, weeks and months following th...
How can I cope with denial if I am grieving?
Michael E. Hirsch, MDMichael E. Hirsch, MD
Often it's easier to recognize denial in others than in ourselves. If you think denial might be inte...
How can automatic writing help me connect with a loved one who has died?
Writing down words and images that pop into your head unexpectedly can help you connect with a l...
The Story About Megyn Kelly’s Dad
The Story About Megyn Kelly’s Dad