How can I handle the anger of a grieving person?

Handle anger gently. People who are grieving sometimes direct angry feelings toward the closest target. If that happens to be you, try to be understanding. That is, wait until well after the person has cooled down before raising your concern in a nonthreatening way. Being condescending or critical isn't helpful. So, rather than saying, "I think you owe me an apology," it may help to observe, "You seem angry a lot lately. I've been wondering if you're mad at me for something."

Continue Learning about Grief & Emotional Health

Coping with Sudden Loss
Coping with Sudden Loss
Grieving the sudden loss of a loved one can be difficult and heartbreaking. We spoke with licensed psychotherapist Julie Hanks, PhD, LCSW, for tips on...
Who is most at risk for emotional trauma?
Females are more likely to experience sexual assault and child sexual abuse than males. And even tho...
Why should I delay making big decisions if I am grieving?
Michael E. Hirsch, MDMichael E. Hirsch, MD
Grief can cloud your thought processes, and if you make abrupt decisions, you may regret them la...
Who Do You See Before You Die?
Who Do You See Before You Die?