How soon after a traumatic incident will emotional trauma appear?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Sometimes traumatic events do not result in emotional trauma at all; there is no way of knowing how a traumatic event will affect you. If you do experience emotional trauma, symptoms of emotional trauma can appear immediately, but sometimes response can be delayed. In some cases, symptoms may not appear for days, months, or even years after the traumatic event. Often, people might not initially recognize the symptoms as being associated with the event.

Continue Learning about Grief & Emotional Health

What do I need to know about caring for someone with emotional trauma?
When a loved one is experiencing emotional trauma, you should endeavor to keep them comfortable and ...
Is it normal to grieve over a dead pet?
Michael E. Hirsch, MDMichael E. Hirsch, MD
The death of a pet can trigger many emotions. Depending on how attached you were to your pet, yo...
What increases my risk for emotional trauma?
Although, it is impossible to pinpoint exactly why one person may be more susceptible to emotional t...
What are some positive outcomes of grief?
G R. Smith, MDG R. Smith, MD
Some positive outcomes of grief can include making healthy lifestyle changes, letting go of frivolou...