How is emotional trauma diagnosed?

Diagnosis of emotional trauma involves a series of screening questions used to determine the history of a person's traumatic experience and their reactions to them. The questions act as a guide to identifying the severity of the trauma, and variations of trauma such as depression and post-traumatic stress disorder. During diagnosis, however, a physician must try not to re-awaken the trauma.

Continue Learning about Grief & Emotional Health

How to Handle Your Grief During the Holidays
The holidays should be a time of tremendous joy. But when you’ve experienced a loss—especially if that loss is recent—the season can bring painful fee...
How do other illnesses affect emotional trauma?
Sometimes, illness itself can be a contributing cause of emotional trauma. Severe illness or the pro...
How can I share my feelings if I am grieving?
Michael E. Hirsch, MDMichael E. Hirsch, MD
Tell people what helps. You might say, "I just need to cry right now," or "There's nothing you c...
Facing Grief and Healing Together
Facing Grief and Healing Together