How can I comfort a grieving friend through phone calls?

Call to express your sympathy. Try to steer clear of such phrases as "It's God's will" or "It's for the best" unless the bereaved person says this first. Your friend or relative may need you even more after the first few weeks and months, when other people may stop calling. Check in every now and then just to say hello (you may find it helpful to put reminders on your calendar).

Continue Learning about Grief & Emotional Health

6 Ways Grief Affects Your Health
6 Ways Grief Affects Your Health
If you've ever experienced the loss of a loved one, you've likely confronted a period of grief and mourning in the days, weeks and months following th...
How can I help a grieving friend with daily tasks?
Michael E. Hirsch, MDMichael E. Hirsch, MD
Be specific when offering help. Volunteer to shop or do laundry, bring dinner, pass on informati...
What should I do if my loved one has a deathbed vision?
David KesslerDavid Kessler
While at the bedside of my patients, I often suggest to family members that there’s no point in tell...
Facing Grief and Healing Together
Facing Grief and Healing Together