How does cognitive-behavioral therapy treat emotional trauma?

Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) is designed to help you process your thoughts and feelings following trauma. The approach includes encouragement to discuss feelings about the occurrence in order to deal with anger and anxiety resulting from the emotional trauma. Techniques for relaxation and distraction are employed to help manage feelings of anxiety. You may learn how to think about your trauma in healthy, non-destructive ways, and to deal with emotions calmly as they occur.

Continue Learning about Grief & Emotional Health

6 Ways Grief Affects Your Health
6 Ways Grief Affects Your Health
If you've ever experienced the loss of a loved one, you've likely confronted a period of grief and mourning in the days, weeks and months following th...
What can I do to cope with the loss of a loved one?
Medical City North HillsMedical City North Hills
It’s important to connect with other family members, and try to remember that person in a positive w...
How can I console a grieving friend?
Michael E. Hirsch, MDMichael E. Hirsch, MD
If you have a friend or relative who is grieving, it can be hard to know how to console him or her. ...
Kathie Lee Gifford Opens Up About Her Faith